Thursday, August 20, 2009

Random Snippets

Nothing really to report, but I feel like it's been a while since I've blogged. So, while Adam is still napping this morning, I'll throw a few things out here.

I'm counting down my last few days until I go back to work. I go back, barring any strike, on August 31. That's a week from this Monday. Ugh. I'm starting to get organized (hahaha, that was funny!) about what we need to do for our days not to completely collapse once I'm back.

Of utmost importance was finding a good daycare for Adam. I had a few recommendations that fell through, but finally had a referral to a woman who has been doing it for 30 years. She is literally on the road to work, so less time in the car! She seemed down to earth and very professional. She does it out of her home and her basement and back yard had more toys and books than Adam will ever see in his own home. He will be the youngest of 5 kids total; the others will be a 1 year old girl and 3 2 year olds. So, I feel a teeny smidge easier. Yeah, just a smidge.

Abe and I are trying to figure out if Adam is saying his first words or not. It's a lot harder to tell than I thought! I always had this image in mind that the child would turn to you and clearly utter "Hello, Mummy!" or sometime equally specific and clearly enunciated (yes, I had obviously not been around a lot of infants or paid close enough attention during the infant development portion of grad school....).

I kid, but I did think it would be easier to understand. Adam is quite the babbler, so he spends a lot of the day happily combining his consonants and vowels, including mamamama, babababa, a-bah! and a few others. Nothing really close to talking, although I've been tempted to count his mamamama babble as Mama, until I see him say it to the couch. But, this week, Adam has pretty clearly been saying "Hey, Baby". He says it over and over and usually to me or Abe. We're trying to figure out if he's actually mimicking something we either say to him or to each other. We don't really say "Hey, Baby" to him, but I *do* call him Bubby and will say "Hey, Bubby". Abe and I also call each other Baby or Babe a lot and will say "Hey, Babe" a lot when we see each other in the house. So, it might be true that Adam's first word(s) is Hey, Baby. What's next? How you doin'?

I decided to grab my camera yesterday and get back into the business of taking pictures. I've been gun shy, as blog readers will know. I thought I'd do the uber-traditional baby-in-a-basket shot that all beginner photos do. It's easy because we all have a basket around the house, so you just toss a soft blanket in there, insert one cute baby and snap away. Adam was waaaay too interested in trying to grab Mama's camera, so not that many great shots were snagged.

Here's the best one....

.

I've been successful with my pledge to stay away from my parenting message board. I wonder if they miss me? Nah, I doubt it....

That's all for now. Oh, could someone please become a follower and get me off of 13 followers? 13 is such an unlucky number..... Thanks.

And if it's already at 14 followers when you read this, feel free to become one anyway. All the cool kids are doing it, ya know....

10 comments:

  1. I can't stay away from my parenting message board, I'll multi-task by nursing & internetting at the same time. If I don't multi-task while I'm nursing Jude I fall asleep lol.
    The fact that Adam's first words are "Hey, baby" makes me giggle, he'll be a real ladies man when he's older. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, which one do you go to? It's such an addiction! Might as well do it though... Jude is probably sleeping half of the day away. I remember Adam used to sleep either while I wore him or in a bouncer next to the desk.

    With those eyes... he's gonna be a lady killer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. babygaga.com,it really is addicting. Which do you go to? He does either sleep or eat all day and this week he started an awesome phase where he doesn't like to be put down when he's sleeping during the day. So he'll sleep on my lap or in my arms and if I don't keep myself occupied and/or amused I'll go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to guess babygaga. I go to the bump.com. I've been on the boards since 1st tri, so I'm used to a lot of the people there. A little less crazy than baby gaga.

    Yeah, that's the stage I started wearing Adam. I needed my arms back! I'd suggest getting a mei tai baby carrier. It's good for them anyway to be close to you like that. Adam is again needing to be held a lot, but now he's 22 lbs. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two carriers, they just came with DVD instructions that I've been too lazy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I miss you on thebump! I've been following your blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly- Aw, thanks! Anything new on the bump?

    ReplyDelete