Adam had his 9 month checkup today. It was the easiest checkup so far because there were no shots (we opted out of the Hep B shot, the only one given at 9 months) and I really didn't have any questions (cuz I'm so good at this mothering thing, dontcha know!).
He clocked in at 21 pound, 8 ounces and 30 inches. He's a tall boy! I was a bit concerned that while his height and head percentiles are the same from birth (both 90th), his weight has been dropping (from 90th at birth to now 60th). She didn't seem concerned, though. I guess he's just a tall, lean boy. Sure doesn't seem lean when I'm squeezing him into his clothes or when I'm carrying him around!
I had been dreading part of the visit.... the part where she asks me about his sleep. She gave me a bit of a lecture during his 6 month visit and told me that he didn't need to be nursing at night anymore and that I should just cut him off, cold turkey. She also said that it was time for sleep training and that I should use cry it out without checks. She told me I had to "harden my heart" and shut the door and let him fall asleep on his own. She told me that she knew how hard it was because she had to do it with her two kids. At the time I felt that the advice was harsh and I chose to ignore it. Obviously, we tried and abandoned the Ferber and I never did cut him off from night nursing. So when it came time to see her, I was sure I'd get a tsk-tsk and had a speech ready in my head, defending our choices. But when it came time for the dreaded sleep question, I told her that he wasn't sleeping more than 4-5 hours at a time and that we had tried Ferber and it didn't work. I was surprised when she told me that it didn't work with her 2 kids either (um, then why did you suggest it??) that it was fine, that he would get to sleep eventually. I even offered up that I was still feeding him 2 times a night, but was going to wean him once he was used to his room. Again, she just nodded and told me that I was doing a great job and seemed to have a plan going. Ooookkkay. I guess it just shows that even the professionals are winging it half of the time.
It was weird making his next appointment for the day after his birthday. How did this year go so fast?
Chocolate Chip Cookies, currently
7 years ago



Glad you didn't get lectured again! It's so hard to believe our LOs will be 1 in a few short months. I sound like my mother, but where does the time go?
ReplyDeleteI know, crazy isn't it? I don't know where the time goes, but I'm sure enjoying the ride!
ReplyDelete